European Master in Health Economics and Management
At the Eu-HEM you will develop competences and expertise in the field of health economics and policy, healthcare management, health law and regulation.
Eu-HEM prepares students to staff and executive positions in organisations, institutions and companies involved in healthcare provision. A key to the fulfillment of steady job in this sector is awareness of the societal relevance of healthcare and the implied constraints imposed by social rules, regulations and the law. The programme therefore aims to develop competences and expertise in the field of health economics and policy, healthcare management, health law and regulation.
The prospective candidate will develop:
- Ability to use disciplines and concepts required in formulating, implementing and evaluating strategic choices in healthcare
- Knowledge of key options in the policy, planning and financing of healthcare services
- Understanding of the diversity of international health policies
- International and comparative views on solutions and best practices
- Practical experience in managerial issues;
- Long-run orientation in problem analysis and solving
- Basic quantitative skills and the ability to apply them in a problem-solving context;
- Communication and co-operation skills
- Knowledge of the objectives of healthcare systems and how the choice of objective may carry over to priority setting
Structure of program:
- The first semester is aimed at acquiring fundamentals of economics, management, law, policy sciences and research methods relevant to the healthcare sector. The fundamental courses are offered at each of the partner universities. All fundamental courses need to be passed (or exemption received) in order to start the specialisation
- Second and third semesters are devoted to the development of advanced & specialised skills on current issues in healthcare sector. Eu-HEM students need to choose one specialisation track. The tracks are: Management of Healthcare Institutions, Economic Evaluation in Healthcare, Health Economics and Policy, Decision Making in Healthcare, Global Health, Healthcare Finance and Management.
- The fourth semester is dedicated to the preparation of the master thesis. Students are required to write a scientific Master thesis on a topic that is related to one of the subjects covered in the Eu-HEM programme
Admission to the European Master in Health Economics and Management requires:
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification and a completed bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree. Applicants with foreign education, please refer to the country list.
- A minimum grade average of C (in the Norwegian grading scale) or equivalent from your bachelor degree.
- An English language requirement documented by an internationally recognised English language proficiency test. Please note that the English test result should be submitted before the application deadline, it is not possible to submit it at a later date
Length and timing of program:
The Eu-HEM is a full time programme over two years. Study start in August/September.
Online or residential/on-site program:
URL for more details of program:
< Back to all University Training Programs