Submitting Proposals to Establish a Special Interest Group
iHEA welcomes proposals to establish Special Interest Groups (SIGs) that provide a platform for professional interaction between iHEA members. Organizing and participating in collegial activity related to an area of common interest offers tremendous professional growth opportunities and intellectual rewards. The SIGs are envisaged as being ‘by iHEA members, for iHEA members’. Proposals to establish SIGs can be submitted at any stage and the iHEA Board will consider proposals at regular intervals and at least every six months. Proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIGs may focus on specific health economics research issues, methodological approaches and/or capacity development initiatives. We particularly encourage proposals to establish SIGs that focus on issues of relevance to low- and middle-income countries.
SIGs approved by the iHEA Board will be offered:
- a page on the iHEA website to advertise SIG activities to all;
- a moderated blog or discussion list for iHEA members who join the SIG (summarized updates would be available to anyone interested);
- support in communicating via the iHEA mailing lists and social media channels;
- support for webinars for iHEA members; and
- opportunities for engagement between SIG members at the biennial iHEA congresses.
Proposals to establish new SIGs should include the following information:
- Proposed name of the SIG
- Background and motivation:
- Explain the focus of the proposed SIG, why the area of focus is of particular importance and why it is likely to be of interest to iHEA members
- Indicate how the SIG will be distinct from existing iHEA SIGs, whether there will be any overlap with existing SIGs and if so, how this could be managed
- Aim and objectives of the proposed SIG
- Proposed activities of the SIG:
- Please provide some information on each the proposed activities (rather than just a list of activities)
- These activities should include those related to iHEA congresses (e.g. explain how the SIG will facilitate the submission of more organized session abstracts) as well as how regular, active engagement among SIG members will be promoted between congresses
- Explicitly indicate how these activities will contribute to the three components of iHEA’s mission, which is “to increase communication among health economists, foster a higher standard of debate in the application of economics to health and health care systems, and assist young researchers at the start of their careers”
- As iHEA is an international association, indicate how these activities will promote engagement across countries and regions
- List of iHEA members willing to contribute to SIG activities: A basic requirement for consideration of an SIG proposal is at least 10 iHEA members expressing a willingness to participate in the SIG, demonstrating geographic diversity and with at least some from high-income countries and some from low- and middle-income countries
- Names and brief biographies of proposed convener(s) of SIG who would take responsibility for developing the program of work and its implementation – we encourage geographic and gender diversity in the convener group
If you would like to discuss your ideas for an SIG proposal, please contact the Executive Director (email@example.com).