Basel is widely regarded as Switzerland's cultural capital, and with good reason - in this city you will encounter art at every turn, whether you stroll through the beautiful Old Town or visit one of almost 40 museums. What's more, Basel also features top-class modern architecture just waiting to be discovered on a city tour.
This multicultural city is located at the junction of Switzerland with Germany and France, making this pocket-size metropolis an openminded and innovative city. With a central location and first-class transport system, Basel is one of the most important trade and congress cities.
- Basel Art Museum: One of the oldest public art collections and biggest Holbein collection in the world.
- Jean Tinguely Museum: The glass hall was designed by the Ticino architect Mario Botta and houses the unique metal sculptures by Tinquely.
- Fondation Beyeler: A variety of art collections and special exhibitions are displayed in the 127-metre-long modern building designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano.
- Museum of Cultures: One of the biggest collections in Europe devoted to life in European and non-European cultures.
- Zoological Gardens: About 600 animal species housed in eleven hectares of grounds featuring exotic flora right in the heart of the city.
- Rhine Cruises: Excursion boats provide opportunities for views of the city from the Rhine and operate all the way to the big freight ports of Basel and Rheinfelden.
- Musical Theater Basel: Delights a wide audience with extravagant productions of international musicals.
For more information visit https://www.basel.com/en