Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Join
President-Elect Discussion Forum
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Special Interest Groups 0 E. Frew   Hi, With the newly appointed SIG in economics of obesity and with other new SIGs emerging I would like to hear the candidates views on these groups, and what support they think iHEA should offer for these groups in the future. Thanks, Emma  
by E. Frew
Friday, November 17, 2017
Question - Making iHEA more relevant for its non-academic members 1 M. Hensher Hello Martin,Thanks for the question. I’m not sure who told you not to stand, perhaps that was a little while ago, you would be encouraged to participate now I'm sure. iHEA is in the process of really changing and becoming a true international organisation, with members contributing at all levels in all ways. The new Executive Director Di McIntyre is working hard to ensure this along with the Board. Non academic members are integral to this - the current President works for the World Bank not a University, and I think, given the importance of the relationship between research and knowledge exchange and translation into practice, your questions pertains to the third part of the mission as well. iHEA needs to have a number of core functions, offering forums and support for: academic excellence; education excellence; and for supporting development of leadership and knowledge exchange in health economics. Non academic health economists are key to these areas, and encouraging health economists more involved in policy and service delivery to be part of iHEA, on its committees, coming to conferences, and to new types of forums is critical. Lots of members are not academics, and this is great, but how can iHEA build upon this great resource for everyones benefit? I think one important factor is the i in iHEA. Where is more interaction and support needed, and unavailable? What do health economists outside academia in low and middle income countries really need and want? How can iHEA help? One way forward may be to find out, iHEA needs to step out of its traditional heartlands (where it is successful and works well) and see who needs support to build health economics in areas beyond academia, and beyond developed countries. So, this would be one of the first things I would want to do, and I have already started pushing for this on the Board of iHEA, and through my work on the Student Prize Committee. An important finding of the Strategic Review (iHEA 2020) was different communication, and higher quality debate, as well as different support for people who perhaps have none. Perhaps point (3) should be ‘Assist early career health economists’ not just young researchers. We need to host meetings, perhaps smaller more targeted meetings in places iHEA has never been before, making it clear that interaction between academics and non academics is crucial - meetings need to have sessions which are not just presentations of research, but interaction between academics and others, and sessions led by those in NGOs, Government, the private and public sector. We need to learn from each other, it will benefit everyone. Including the early career health economists, and those who may be working in areas a little isolated at present. More involvement at all levels would benefit everyone.I hope this helps Martin, thanks again.Best wishes,Bruce
by
Friday, November 10, 2017

Contact Us

411 Richmond Street East, Suite 200
Toronto, ON M5A 3S5
Canada

Email: ihea@healtheconomics.org

Connect

iHEA

The International Health Economics Association was formed to increase communication among health economists, foster a higher standard of debate in the application of economics to health and health care systems, and assist young researchers at the start of their careers.

Read More About Us